Sunday, April 27, 2014

Burlap Butterfly Tutorial

Hello all! I wanted to share this quick and easy tutorial on making your own burlap butterflies. The March Swirlydoos Kit, Salutations, has some pretty unique burlap flower sprays. So, I  thought to match I would try my hand at making my own butterflies.
 
You can get burlap by the yard at any craft store.  Here I cut out a 8 x 8 square.
 Step 1:
To make the burlap stiff cover in Modge Podge. Let it completely dry. I think you can use a fabric stiffener spray,  but I just used what I had on hand.

Step 2:
I used a die cut for my butterflies. You can also hand cut with a template.
 Step 3:
For a little more pizzazz, I took some cheese cloth and sprayed with Glimmermist. Let dry. Set aside
 Step 4:
For the antennas take floral stamens and bend in half. Ink them up for a darker shade.
 Step 5:
Glue to the larger butterfly
 

 Step 6:
Layer the smaller butterfly on top

Step 7 :
Add the cheese cloth
 Step 8:
Add your center piece.

Step 9:
Using glossy accents as an adhesive sprinkle on some glitter. The will also aid in keeping the edges from fraying.




Here is the finished butterfly! Totally fast an easy!!
 
Here is layout I made using the butterflies. I added gesso to go with the paint on the layout.

3 comments:

Paula Calvanico said...

Awesome, I'll have to try this. I love making my own embellies when I can :)

Paula

Lizzyc said...

Your butterflies look wonderful and your layout is gorgeous.. thanks for sharing how to make the butterflies!!

Anne said...

Beauuutiful butterflies and gorgeous layout! Stunning work as always. :)
You have such a way with mixing light and dark, and still keeping it soft. :)

Hugs, Anne.